My understanding of the story was slightly different. Here it goes:

It is worth recording that the aforesaid Robert Junior died and was
buried in the cemetery, but in the night used to come out of his grave,
create havoc among the villagers and terrify them, and the dogs of the
village followed him with loud barking. Finally the young men of the
village discussed the matter among them and resolved to apprehend him,
if they could do so in any whichever way, and gathered at the cemetery.
But at the sight of him they all fled except two. One of the two, named
Robert Foxton, caught him while he was stepping out of the cemetery and
put him over the church stile, while the other shouted manfully, "Hold
him tight until I come to you." The first one answered, "Rather, go to
the parish priest, that he may conjure him up; because, if God grants me
that, I'll hold on tight to what I have until the priest comes." The
parish priest hastened speedily and conjured him up, in the name of the
holy Trinity and by the power of Jesus Christ, that he might answer the
questions posed to him. The ghost thus conjured up spoke deep within his
entrails, not with his tongue, but as if from an empty barrel, and
confessed his various crimes. When the priest had cognizance of them, he
gave him absolution, but imposed upon those who had apprehended him the
obligation not to reveal in any way his confession. Thenceforth he
rested in peace, as God willed.
	They also say that before his absolution he wanted to stay close to the
doors of homes and under the walls or doorposts, as if listening,
perhaps waiting for someone to come out and conjure him up, helping him
in his need. Others say that he had been an accomplice and consented to
the murder of a certain man, and committed other evil deeds, which it
would not be proper to mention now in detail.

Cheers, Luciana
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
Societas internationalis pro Vivario
e-mail:	[log in to unmask]