Dear Colleagues:
        One of our seminarians showed me a photograph of a statue which is
about to be restored and placed in his parish church. The parish priest and
the parishioners have no idea of whom the statue is meant to represent. The
statue is quite lovely: a bishop in mitre and chasuable is holding in his
hands a book upon which is placed an enormous apple, with stem. My guess is
that it's Saint Malachy, who gave an apple to a king and thus restored his
sight. The book may represent the prophecies of Malachy. Any suggestions for
the identification of the subject of this statue would be appreciated.
        Thomas Sullivan, OSB