Hi all,

My name is Jack Colbert, and I'm a public services librarian with the Flint
River Regional Library System in Griffin Ga., USA.

Over the last few months I've been working on a project with several other
librarians building virtual (3-D) libraries on the WWW.  This project is
called "librarea", and it features fully navigable library buildings, with
floors, ceilings, etc, which contain links to web-based information
resources.   This is a not-for-profit, non-commercial project and it's
completely free to any librarian who wishes to participate.  Over the last
few months, 19 librarian/builders (from 4 countries) have begun building
here, and over 800 librarians have visited.

 The purpose of librarea is to provide librarians with an area to build and
experiment with virtual library models.  Librarea is built with a program
called ActiveWorlds, which offers many possibilities for librarians: the
building process is easy and can be taught in minutes, any object can be
linked to display any webpage, the interface can handle streaming
video/audio, chat functions, internal mail, and finally, a variety of
 "bots" are available that can automate functions and interactions within
the environment.

You are invited to join us and build your own library in "librarea".

If you'd like to have a look at this project, go to www.activeworlds.com to
download and install the free browser.  Open the browser and click the
"Worlds" tab, top left, to scroll down to "librarea".  Or, if you'd like a
quick tour of this project (without the download), go to
http://www.swrlss.org/aw1.html.

Jack Colbert
or