I wish to thank all those who have replied to my request for information on the COMMEDY's translations.

May I, as a simple unqualified reader, ask make a naive comment, which does not necesarily warrant an answer:  why are most translations available, by scholars.  Don't poets feel challenged by the poem?  As Ted Highes did by Ovid?

In Italy, the practice is that all major poets have a go at translating poetical works.  Ungaretti, Montale, Quasimodo, all translated, some more than once, Shakespeare sonets, at the Greek and Latin lyrical poetry, and others.