Dear all,
I agree with Tim and Brett 101 %. I was studied the main foliations and
lineation of the Cabo Ortegal (A HP-HT allocthonous Complex of the NW
Spain) that mainly, always show a clear intersection lineation between
compositional layers and mylonitic foliation. During many years people, I
said more: intelligent geologist identified this intersection lineation as
stretching lineation misunderstand all, and subsequently based in this fact
they made a amazing exhumations models of the Cabo Ortegal during the
Variscan Orogen…..
On the other hand, if we are front to a real and clear stretching lineation
parallel to one strait axis fold (not a sheath fold), we don’t need forget
that we can develop a fold by buckling or bending, where the principal
stretching direction (s3) could be normal principal shortening direction
(s1) and if quantitatively s3 >s1 the linear or plane-linear fabric
resultant, may present a stretching lineation parallel to the axis fold.
Thanks for your attention.
Francisco J. Fernández
Dpto de Geología
Área de Geodinámica