Hi Jon,
Sterne, Bartlett, Jueni and Egger presented a paper on this in Oxford in
July 2000. It addresses your question in an indirect but efficient way.
The answer does not seem to be clearcut in a particular review.
see http://www.ihs.ox.ac.uk/csm/symp2000.html

Jon Brassey wrote:

> I'm looking into the efficiency of literature searching for systematic reviews.
>
> My feeling is that generally the majority of relevant literature can be found relatively quickly and easily by using Medline and other electronic databases.
>
> The harder (and more time consuming) workof a literature search is following up citations, grey literature searches etc.  However, this hardwork tends to find relatively few contributions compared to the electronic databases.
>
> Does this seem reasonable and if so does anyone know of any studies that have looked into this?
>
> Ta
>
> Jon

Gerben ter Riet, MD, PhD
Reviews Manager
NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
University of York, Heslington
York YO10 5DD
United Kingdom
Tel: + 1904 433121