Hi, Shelley, Mairian, and other list members.

It's true that Shelley sent her initial posting to individuals, me among
them, before posting to the list.  I didn't respond because I didn't feel
able to support you in this, Shelley, but at this point, I feel (rightly
or wrongly) that it's important to throw my two cents in.

First, I didn't read the 'joke' the way Shelley (and some others) did.  I
checked the web page in response to Shelley's posting; even given that
context, I was momentarily amused by the line and then dismissed it.  Why?
 I think context is important.  I don't know the DRU well but I've met
Mark, Colin and Tom at a few conferences and never got the impression that
they were homophobic (far from it) or, by extension, that there was a
homophobic climate at the DRU.  Perhaps because of this, the joke seemed
tongue-in-cheek to me.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the fact that this is only my reading.  I think
it's important to allow for other readings and that it's very important
that disability studies makes an active effort to be inclusive; this means
responding to people's concerns and taking them seriously, even if we
don't always agree.  Just because I wasn't offended by something, doesn't
mean it isn't offensive.  I think the apology Shelley received from the
web site manager was appropriate.

I'm concerned about some directions this thread has taken.  Suggesting
that the intersection of disability studies and homophobia (including the
DRU web page) shouldn't be talked about on a disability-research list is
homophobic.  No, an interest in disability studies doesn't require an
interest in homophobia, heterosexism, homosexuality, marriage, or anyone's
'life style' but that's what the delete key is for; when I see a thread
title that doesn't interest me, I delete the thread; I don't insist that a
heated discussion end just because I don't like it.

I don't agree that the discussion is dividing along nationalistic or
imperialistic lines.  I don't think emphasizing or appealing to
standpoints is always useful; I don't think what I think just because I'm
Canadian, or English, or gay.  Of course, people closer to the DRU are on
the defensive; I'm also concerned that the accusatory tone towards the DRU
has continued despite their apology and their removing the remark from the
web page.

There's been a lot of talk on the thread about the language of e-mail and
the web.  One frustrating thing about lists is that you don't always get
the responses, the readings, or the support you hope for.  This can be
frustrating and hurtful even when responses are thoughtful and
well-intentioned and of course, some responses within the thread are not
helpful but are themselves homophobic.  I think that disagreement,
misreading, and heated exchange is to some extent characteristic of the
medium of the list, and that it's important to pursue difficult
conversations anyway.  But I have to say, Shelley, I think your tone and
your comments to Mairian in your last post are uncalled for and that you
should reconsider them.
Kate