Dear Elizabeth and list members,

Thank you for your response. The answer to your question is that we are
going to put together a web page for classification and subject schemes.
There is such a degree of overlap between these schemes and thesauri that
you're right it is essential to make this point. So no, we do not see these
as separate entities at all. In fact a classification scheme could be the
basis of a resolution to the problem we are looking into. The thesaurus page

was only put together in the last day or so. We're working on the others.
However, we would welcome any links you could provide us with.

Also, thanks to those who sent links to thesaurus sites. They have been
added to the page:

http://hilt.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/Sources/thesauri.htm

In my previous e-mail I briefly described what the HILT project was about.

http://hilt.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/AboutHILT/overview.html

I am wondering what your general opinion is on finding a solution and what
the solution could be. We have heard that some groups have attempted
something like this before, but not on this scale. Perhaps some of you have
experience of broaching this topic. It would be helpful if you could give a
reason for your response.

Regards,

Susannah

Elizabeth Cherhal wrote:

> At 17:54 21/11/00 -0400, Brian  E.  McLaughlin wrote:
> > Susannah -
> >     Your thesauri web site is an excellent resource - you may wish
> >to consider adding an engineering thesaurus, such as Ei
> >Thesaurus, (1998) ; published by Engineering Information (ISBN
> >0873941934) -
> >    Thank you for sharing this!
> >

> I agree.
> Have you considered including in your site references to subject
> classification schemes
> as well as thesauri?
> (I am thinking of the ones I know: MSC, ACM, PACS, or even DDC)
> Or do you consider that classifications are one thing, thesauri another?
>
> Best Regards,
>
>      [log in to unmask]  Tel: 33 4 76 51 48 72
>                                         Fax: 33 4 76 63 56 11
>                                         Home: 33 4 76 95 47 06
>    Cellule de Coordination Documentaire Nationale pour les Mathématiques
>    snail mail : Cellule MathDoc - UMS 5638, Université Joseph Fourier
>                     B.P. 53,   38051 Grenoble Cedex 9, France.
>    Website: http://www-mathdoc.ujf-grenoble.fr/

Susannah Wake
HILT Research Assistant
Address: Strathclyde University Library,
101 St James' Road, Glasgow, G4 0NS
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://hilt.cdlr.strath.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)141 548 4586