RE: scenario

Not such a minefield. This lady would be likely to suffer a horrible death if left untreated, and it is certain that was not what she intended. If there is any hint of a depressive illness (good grounds for suspicion from her own words, plus suicidal intent to boot), there would be very little legal risk to a doctor who treated her against her wishes, but in her best interests. It would be wise to get a second doctor to record agreement with your course of action in the notes. However, if you were forced by urgency or the physical situation (eg being outside the hospital) to make the decision alone, you would still be entitled to support from your Trust.

I had a similar pre-hospital case in Hampstead many years ago in which a man cut his throat and refused to go to hospital in an ambulance. He was holding on to the (very red) bathroom door frame, and I was called out to see him. On finding that he was not open to reason, I took on the responsibility of assigning one ambulanceman to each limb (we had two crews by now), and forcibly took him to hospital while holding a pad on his neck. On recovery, he expressed his gratitude to me for taking the decision out of his hands. OK, it seems paternalistic, but there are no second chances for such patients. Failure to consider depression would arguably be negligent.

As Sir Donald Irvine (GMC) said to me the other day at a conference, carrying the can "is called part of being a doctor". If you have the courage to do the right thing, acting in what you genuinely believe to be a patient's best interests in an emergency, it is highly unlikely that you would face legal action, and virtually no chance that it would succeed. More elective issues are different, and are best sorted out by judges (example - the Recent Jodie/Mary case).

I realise that the above is partly (informed) opinion, but generally the law recognises such ethical dilemmas and it is FAIR to doctors.

Rob Cocks
(A&E adviser to the Public Complaints Committee in Hong Kong, and Medical Director of the NHS Litigation Authority as of January 2001)