I know the statistics.  I know it seems to make sense.  So why don't I
do it?   I cycle to work most days yet I must confess to a reluctance to
wear the thing.   Is it 'cos I'm old and don't care anymore, or is it
because a helmet is no fun and makes another piece of kit to cart round
whenever I go out after parking the bike.

Statistics are funny things.  Couldn't we prove that pedestrians would
suffer less head injuries if they all wore helmets, therefore crossing
the road without a helmet is dangerous.   Why don't window cleaners wear
helmets?   Or roofers.  Or lollipop ladies?   Or car drivers?
--
Dr Charles C Scott