I wish I could transcribe the passage Prof. Godshalk is remembering, but I don't have my copy of Charles Nicholl's The Reckoning--a fascinating historical reconstruction of Marlowe's final decade.  I do remember that the passage included something about "they who love not tobacco and boys are fools," an avowal of atheism, and also something about "Mary was not a virgin" and "John was Jesus' bedfellow."  But more importantly the passage came from a shady character named Baines who was, along with Marlowe, somehow involved in the espionage work between England and the Netherlands.  The Privy Council exacted this testimony from Baines, Nicholl thinks, because Marlowe was on the outs for some reason--I can't remember if Nicholl has a definitive theory about that, but it may involve counterfeiting coins or playing double agent with the Catholics.  When an anti-immigrant churchyard poem circulated in 1592/3, signed only Tamburlaine, the authorities searched Marlowe's room for evidence of his authorship, and I think it was on that occasion that they arrested Kyd--Marlowe's roommate at the time--for interrogation.  They tortured Kyd to get the digs on Marlowe, and poor Kyd died, possibly from the effects of the rack, a year later.  The case against Marlowe ended when he was killed not in a barroom brawl, as the story goes, but in a private room in a Deptford hotel where three men (including Marlowe) were spending the day.  When Marlowe turned up dead, of a knife wound to the brain from just above the eye, the other men in the room testified that it had been self-defense over a dispute concerning the "reckoning," or the food and room charge.

While there's no doubt in my mind that Marlowe must have liked boys and tobacco as well as the next guy, the report itself is suspicious because it appears to have been fabricated for a political end by an adversary--more "state" related than closet, perhaps.