Shirley Sharon-Zisser wrote:

> My pastoral instuments, emotionally, intellectually,
> and historically, are the reed and orpharion. The two are erotically
> slanted in their theorizations in sixteenth-century books on musical
> theory (c.f. Barley's *Book of Tabliture* and its instructions as to
> stroking the belly of the orpharion) and translations of pastoral
> (c.f. the "reed" in the 1588 traslation of Theocritus's Idylls and
> fraunces' translation of Virgil's second eclogue).

Barley's book was, of course, the first publication to include lute music by
John Dowland (and he was not at all pleased!).  It should also be pointed
out that the orpharion was something of a rarity, whereas lutes were
relatively common.

I should also point out that if it's sensuality you are after, then the lute
is much to be preferred!

But there are much more serious issues here.  I would suggest that the
shepherd's "reed" was a pastoral convention for what was, in reality, the
proper instrument of Apollo.  At the time of Theocritus that would be the
lyre or kithara - in Spenser's age, the lute.

Barley's book was the beginning of an avalanche of such publications.  That
was all to do with the "patent" for publishing music in England at the time,
which had been granted to Byrd, and Tallis, in 1575.  Byrd, having used it
little, passed his right to Thomas Morley.  I know I digress, but I mention
this partly because Morley, whose early career was somewhat chequered, may
well have been a candidate for the spy "Marley" who has been mentioned in

Back to my point.  I imagine that all the worthies whose names have been
mentioned recently would have taken the ability, to read, and play from,
lute tablature, for granted.  For the published books, and manuscripts,
thereof, were not only used to transmit new "compositions" for the lute.
Tablature was used to record music in general.

Yet, I suspect that few people are now fluent in the language of tablature.
To read Renaissance poetry without the music seems strange to me.

Andy