On 17 Oct 2000, at 3:18, John Gleason wrote:

> My usually staid email has been flying high of late, most of it too high
> for me.  But I may help a little with the term anapodoton, mentioned in
> Steven Willett's third point below.  At some earlier stage in this thread I
> believe it was stated that the word is not found in Liddell and Scott, but
> in fact the Lexicon has it and glosses it "not given back, not returned."

I did in fact say it was cited in LS&J, but with no rhetorical meaning.
The listed synonym is also without rhetorical flavor.  Thanks,
however, for the citation.  None of the terms go back to Classical
rhetoric, at least none are listed in the TLG CDROM, so they were
invented sometime in the Renaissance.  A Classical education
wouldn't help one learn them and cannot, therefore, be used to
authorize them.

Steven J. Willett
University of Shizuoka, Hamamatsu Campus
2-3 Nunohashi 3-chome, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan 432-8012
Voice and Fax: (053) 457-4514
Japan email: [log in to unmask]
US email: [log in to unmask]