My thanks to several contributors.

>Subject: Pagett MP --- and Saki
>Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:08:57 -0400
>
>But the verses are above the poem, not the story!  What is the relationship
>between them?
>Michael Healy

My claim is that Saki's lines are plainly so similar that they must have
been stimulated by those four lines of Kipling's.

I might have asked: are there any other verses that Saki's are similar
to? If not, were those four lines so familiar to the public in 1916
that Saki would have expected his readers to recognise the reference?

The message from Lewins makes clear that I misunderstood, and should not
have used the word "suppressed" in relation to Kipling's verse.

Another message mentioned the Rubaiyat and Samarkand. Certainly Saki knew
these (also the Recessional) --- but I don't see that they are similar to
the degree that the four lines of Kipling's are.

By the way, I am so ignorant that I have no idea whether Saki and Kipling
ever met.

Paul Hutchinson.