I'm replying to Marina's observation - partly because I help with the
networked-learning list and partly because i'm on the programme committee for
the Euro CSCL conference.

It seems troubling that on the one hand we have financial restraints within
many of our universities that make it very hard for us to take part in
international conferences (relevant to the theme of networked learning or
otherwise) and on the other hand we are working in an area where new technology
is (supposedly) reducing the need for such face-to-face get-togethers.

Marina writes from a university which isn't well-funded with respect to
research. I'm writing from a university which regularly comes in the top ten of
UK research universities (and from a department which regularly comes out with
a high research grade). Yet I get only 200 pounds a year as a conference
allowance. That won't even cover the costs of attendance at one of our main
national conferences. All my other conference participation is paid for from
funds I've won in competitive bidding for national and European research
projects. I'm not aware of any alternatives to these two main sources of
funding. I suspect that there aren't any/many 'hardship funds' because they'd
be overwhelmed with applications and would be too costly to administer.

So?

a) Should we be taking steps to create a serious 'virtual' conference in our
field (or promote something which already exists in/near our field)?  This
would allow greater access, at the expense of some of the things which we value
about face-to-face conferences

b) do we need some infrastructure that would help with some selective funding
of participation in face-to-face conferences - so that people with really good
contributions to make to the NL field aren't silenced by shortage of cash?

Peter