--- Ferrara <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
> I have an affinity to Richard Rolle. I'm surprised he wasn't at least
> beatified. Is there any particular reason he isn't counted among the
> saints?
>
> Anthony

Well, we would be looking for at least one miracle wrought at his
intercession.  I personally don't think much of him as a spiritual
writer, and I think my distaste was shared by Walter Hilton and by the
author of the Cloud of Unknowing;  possibly also by Geoffrey Chaucer.
But this is not to impugn his personal holiness.  The main reason that
people are not made saints is that not enough people take up their
cause.  This is why there is a disproportionate number of members of
religious orders among the saints:  the order concerned will naturally
campaign for their brother or sister's canonization.  If you think he
should be a saint, by all means campaign for his canonization.

Oriens.