***Apologies for cross-posting***

Dear all,

Here at Westminster we are looking to develop and formalise our e-mail enquiry policy. Currently we take an active part in the EARL 'Ask a Librarian' rota, and deal with other e-mail enquiries as and when they arrive.
I have been looking at public library websites all over the UK to see what other authorities are offering and how, and there seems to be a huge range of activity - from making individual library (or even individual staff) e-mail addresses available on the web site, to the form-based enquiry services offered by authorities such as Buckinghamshire, Conwy and Essex (among others).
I would be really interested in hearing about the policies that lie behind these services, in particular the following issues:

1. Do you have policies relating to the format, style, time taken etc. to respond to e-mail enquiries specifically?
2. Have you developed generic e-mail addresses for aspects of the service / individual libraries, or do individual members of staff receive the messages?
3. Have you developed generic responses to commonly asked questions (or a FAQ)?
4. Do you separate reference / subject enquiries from those about the service (opening hours etc.)?
5. Do you use a web form for enquiries or an e-mail link? Why?

If anyone would be willing to provide me with copies of your policy documents, I would really appreciate it!
I look forward to hearing from you,
-thanks,

Ali Holder,
Information Development Librarian,