WAKEFIELD LIBRARIES & INFORMATION SERVICES - OPTIONS FOR SERVICE DELIVERY

Apologies for cross-posting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We'd like to know what other public library services have done/are doing/
or
are considering in the non-traditional delivery of some or all of their
services.  This is to help us look at the 'compete' and 'challenge' areas
of
Best Value.

We are particularly interested in:
1) Elements of the service that can be fairly readily taken on by other
providers (such as ICT maintenance, pre-publication stock selection, other
bibliographic services, housebound services)
2) Other service elements that have traditionally being regarded as 'core
services' (for example hotline-style reference enquiry services)
3) Services where volunteers can play a more significant part (for example
ICT training, running reading groups, promotional activities)
4) Partnership arrangements for services such as joint service provision of
schools library services or activities such as staff training.  We are
interested here in arrangements involving other library services, local
authority departments, or outside agencies
5) Alternative providers taking responsibility for the whole library
service

We would also be interested in hearing about any other options.  If you
have
experiences to offer in any of these areas, please tell us about it.
Alternatively, you may prefer to contact us direct at the address listed
below.

Since we are very much aware that other library services are looking at
these questions, we will post a summary of the direct responses here next
month.

Thank you

Colin MacDonald
Libraries and Information Services Manager
City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council
Library Headquarters
Balne Lane
Wakefield
WF2 0DQ