Dear All,
My arboriculturalist colleague here in Bedfordshire, David Alderman,
recently sent the following query around our Section:

 "I am helping to research the locations of any "clutie trees".
 Historically clutie, cloutie or clootie trees were those which grew near
a spring or water source and to which small cloths (or clouts) were tied
by those making a wish.  Trees at the head of Barton Springs may once
have included a clutie tree but if you know of any, anywhere in Britain,
or have heard reference to such a tree or the practice, I would be
interested to hear."

I have provided David with a couple of examples in Scotland and Wales
but, although not strictly archaeological, I suspect some members of the
Forum will know of others.
Thanks in anticipation!

Stephen R. Coleman
Historic Environment Information Officer

are addressed.

If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately
by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.
Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.

Any modification of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited
unless expressly authorised by the sender.