-----Original Message-----
From: Coleman,S,EnvServ,HistEnvInfo <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 04 October 2000 06:47
Subject: Clutie/Cloutie/Clootie Trees

>Dear All,
>My arboriculturalist colleague here in Bedfordshire, David Alderman,
>recently sent the following query around our Section:
>
> "I am helping to research the locations of any "clutie trees".
> Historically clutie, cloutie or clootie trees were those which grew near
>a spring or water source and to which small cloths (or clouts) were tied
>by those making a wish.  Trees at the head of Barton Springs may once
>have included a clutie tree but if you know of any, anywhere in Britain,
>or have heard reference to such a tree or the practice, I would be
>interested to hear."
>
>I have provided David with a couple of examples in Scotland and Wales
>but, although not strictly archaeological, I suspect some members of the
>Forum will know of others.
>Thanks in anticipation!
>
>Stephen R. Coleman
>Historic Environment Information Officer

>are addressed.
>
>If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately
>by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.
>Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.
>
>Any modification of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited
>unless expressly authorised by the sender.
We have a Rag Tree, which is next to a spring on the bounds of the county of
Worcestershire and the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley. It is associated with
St Kenelm's Chapel. The well may have been a prehistoric feature, which when
christianised became associated with the boy king Coenhelm for some reason.
The legend of the chapel was that in the 9th century Coenhelm was murdered
by is sister near the site. The body continued to sing and was discovered
and taken to be buried at the family residence in Winchcombe. The last time
I was up there locals had continued to clothe a tree with strips of cloth.
Maybe in the immortal words of Tom Jones it was in rememberance of someone
who had died or perhaps it was much more prosaic in the the strips
represented were prayers, (it was a churchyard!) I do remember that I went
to a temple on Elephanta Island in Bombay thirty years ago where I saw a
similar thing, strips of cloth fastened to trees so perhaps this is a
universal tradition?

John Hemingway, Archaeological Officer, DMBC.

This e-mail contains proprietary information some of which or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or
transmission error has misdirected the e-mail, please notify the author by replying
to this email. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.