1.  we have rag trees,often thorn bushes, at a number of ecclesiastical
sites
2.  rag trees may occur beside holy wells, which may or may not be close
to/part of ecclesiastical sites, this seems to give a pagan flavour to the
practice
3.  particular thorn bushes around the countryside are known as 'fairy
thorns' [ an alternative, in the past, was to describe them as 'gentle'
which i think is the same idea as calling fairies 'gentle folk' because it
was unlucky to name them] with bad luck following if they are disturbed or
injured, but i have no recall of a rag thorn ever being a fairy thorn.....
[ i have all sorts of planning and thorn stories, which i will spare you]
4. we have one or two sites with trees with coins pushed into them

a natural feature or object which is man-modified is an example of human
activity which merits record and explanation
surely its a site/monument - we give them a number

Annie Given
NI Sites and Monuments Record
Environment & Heritage Service: Built Heritage
tel:   028 9054 3013          fax: 028 9054 3111
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web:    www.ehsni.gov.uk