Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:58:26 +1000

From: Phillip Ripper <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Time to boycott NIKE

I was sent this from another list....

Subject: Time to boycott NIKE! This is DISGUSTING!

From: Marcie Roth=20

Director of Advocacy and Public Policy

National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)

This Nike ad is running in the current issue (October 2000) of =

Backpacker Magazine. It is shocking in its offensiveness and insensitivity. I have

already written to express my outrage, to tell them that they have lost =

my business and to demand both an apology and a clear indication of the =

depth of their regret... a sizeable donation to the National Spinal Cord =

Injury Association for starters. Please write them on their website =

www.nike.com or send email directly to [log in to unmask] Please forward.

Marcie

An advertisement in Backpacker Magazine (October, 2000).

It is an ad for Nike ACG (All Conditions Gear) extreme sports trail =

running

shoe:

And I quote:

"...Fortunately the Air Dri-Goat features a patented goat-like outer =

sole for increased traction so you can taunt mortal injury without actually

experiencing it. Right about now you're probably asking yourself 'How =

can a trail running shoe with an outer sole designed like a goat's hoof help =

me avoid compressing my spinal cord into a Slinky on the side of some

unsuspecting conifer, thereby rendering me a drooling, misshapen

non-extreme-trail-running husk of my former self, forced to roam the =

earth in a motorized wheelchair with my name embossed on one of those cute =

little license plates you get at carnivals or state fairs, fastened to the

back?'..." Nike has a web site www.nike.com On that site they have a "talk to us"

area to send messages. I believe an apology should be printed, not just =

the ad withdrawn.

Marcie Roth

Director of Advocacy and Public Policy

National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)

1916 Wilson Blvd. Suite 209

Arlington, VA 22201

(703) 525-3406 (Voice)

(703) 525-4153 (TTY)

(703) 525-3409 (Fax)

[log in to unmask](Email)

www.ncil.org (Website)

Fiona A Campbell, BLS (Hons) Latrobe

PhD Candidate
School of Humanities and Social Science
Queensland University of Technology
Mail: PO Box 114 Narangba  QLD 4504
Australia
Tel:  + 61 7 38866714
Fax: + 61 7 38866782
Mb: 0417 349485
Email: [log in to unmask]

   --_|\

     <----- Brisbane

\_.--._/

+++ There is no justice without mercy +++