here is the official press release.

PR367

                    Hackney Takes Drastic Steps to Balance the Books

                    Hackney Council's Borough Treasurer George Jenkins has
today (17/10)
                    served a report under Section 114 of the Local
Government and Finance Act
                    1988 which prevents the Council incurring any further
expenditure until the
                    Full Council has considered the report.

                    His report forecasts that the Council's General Fund
Budget will be in the
                    red to the tune of up to £13m by the end of the
financial year unless it takes
                    steps now to curb expenditure. In addition, savings of
£4.8m are required
                    from the Housing Revenue Account to balance that budget.

                    "We knew that Hackney was facing a serious financial
position mainly
                    caused by escalating costs in our waste management,
revenues and
                    benefits, emergency accommodation and our contract with
ITNet," said Max
                    Caller, Hackney Council's Managing Director.

                    He added: "But the real story is only now unfolding and
we were left with no
                    choice but to issue this report to force officers to
curb expenditure who, up
                    to now, have failed to realise and take seriously the
situation we are in."

                    In a joint statement Cllrs Jules Pipe & Eric Ollerenshaw
OBE, Joint Vice
                    Chairs of the Council's Policy and Finance Executive
Committee said:
                    "Thanks to the new political stability in Hackney and a
number of new
                    officers, we believe we have finally got to the bottom
of the problems that
                    have been dogging the borough for years. This will not
be an easy time and
                    difficult decisions will have to be made, but we are
determined to do our
                    utmost to bring the Authority out of this mess whilst
protecting essential
                    services."

                    The major budget failures are:

                    £3m Waste Management
                    £3m Revenue & Benefits
                    £1.3m Emergency Accommodation
                    £0.6m Transport Services
                    £1m Children's placements

                    Although spending departments were asked to come up with
savings to
                    avoid this action, the proposals they devised were
either unrealistic or
                    optimistic and therefore, unachievable.

                    All staff have now been told that all expenditure,
except statutory or
                    contractual commitments, no matter how small, is to
cease. A five-strong
                    panel of the Council's most senior officers - Max Caller
(Managing Director),
                    Leo Boland (Deputy MD), Anna Klonowski (Acting Director
Finance &
                    Performance), Mary Richardson, (Director of Social
Services) and Elizabeth
                    Reid (Director of Education) - has been set up to
approve all future items of
                    expenditure.

                    The team will also be studying the budget savings
proposals put forward by
                    departments and presenting a series of savings options
for councillors to
                    consider, within 21 days.

                    Max Caller explained: "Hackney's budgets and financial
systems have, for
                    far too long, not been up to scratch disguising the true
problems - we are
                    now facing and senior managers have failed to deal with
the growing budget
                    problems.

                    "Difficult and painful decisions will be taken over the
next three weeks to
                    begin the process of getting this authority back on its
feet, but the majority
                    of Members are committed to seeing this through."

                    ends

                    Media contact: Ian Rathbone 020 8356 3433.