David,

When Gwen Jull went down to SA and did a conference on lumbar stability to a
group of chiropractors and doctors, she set out to try and convince them
that TA and multifidus weakness is responsible for back pain. However, the
chiropractors and doctors were able to deduce for themselves that it is
actually the other way around; a person gets back pain, and as a result,
they inhibit their TA and multidifus from working. This in turn will inrease
their instability and their pain, and it is a vicious cycle. Gwen Jull had
to recognize this fact and she did during the conference. Therefore, TA is
not the cause of back pain as Gwen Jull and DR Richardson had taught me back
at Uni... it is only an effect. Hope this clears everything up.

Henry***