	[Jones, Chris]

	I think there are perhaps two issues raised by Ian's message.

	a) The support offered might be of a different character on email or
chat. The research project I'm currently working on has provided some data on
how students experience their contact with tutors online. It suggests that the
questions they ask online need to be well defined and explicit. This provides
quick and good responses from tutors. If the enquiry is poorly defined or is
badly articulated students experience frustration as unlike a face to face
communication they cannot repair breakdowns in understanding very easily (or if
in an asynchronous medium very quickly).

	b) Impoverishment in relation to books might be a serious concern ;-).
The e-university is intended to compete on quality with the 'best'
universities. As Ian suggests set texts provide one answer but this does
restrict the students' experience of searching out information and the
serendipity of stumbling across new sources whilst browsing. The Web can
provide some elements of this but an e-university might need considerably more.
The OU has tried to move away from the set book format with resource based
learning on courses such as IT and Society THD 204 and Web based courses such
as T171.

	Chris