----- Original Message -----
 From: Rich Pederick <[log in to unmask]>

> Does anybody know if the two St Helen wells mentioned are
> still rag-wells?

I visited St Helen's well at Eshton last year and there were a few strips of cloth tied to
tree branches near the pool.
Earlier this year I also went to visit St Helen's well at Walton, this is shown as "Site
of" on the OS maps, and i could not find any water source. Photographs from the early
1900's show rags tied to bushes but there is no water to be seen in the pictures so  the
site may have been dry even then.
However on my recent visit i saw an old tree trunk near the well site, and coloured
ribbons had been tied around the roots and branches, so the well site is still visited by
someone.

both these wells are on my website  www.alkelda.f9.co.uk/holywells/