David,
I run an outpatient amputee program and have about 16 patients on my
caseload.  As our program got known, and referrals increased, to maintain a
'no waitlist policy' I started buddying people up and doubling and tripling
treatment times.  Though this created a different job stress for me, the
undeniable benefits to the clients were:
1.  new amputees get to see what more established amputees are physically
doing,
2.  opportunity to network with each other over time which is perhaps more
beneficial than one peer visit,
3.  an opportunity to share in the education process around prosthetic fit,
problems, solutions etc.,; an opportunity to support each other when one is
having a bad day, not feeling like they are making progress etc.
4.  allows them to expand their horizons - too many amputees have people,
including health care providers, telling them what they won't be able to do.
Seeing someone at a high level of performance gives them permission to
believe that they too may be able to achieve the same results
5.  encourages a more independent client regarding their own progress and
goals.

When a group rehab class doesn't work, in my humble opionion, is when one
therapist treates everyone at once, with everyone all doing the same
exercise.  Unless everyone is at the exact level of function and all are
needing the same amount and intensity of exercise, this to me is inefficient
use of the client's time. There must be the ability of the therapist to vary
the input based on each person's individual needs - the same balance
exercise is not appropriate for a brand new versus 3 month old amputee.
This is a clinical decision based on constant assessment and analysis by a
therapist and not an expectation of a rehabilitation assistant.
Linda McLaren, PT
Physiotherapist, Amputee Team
GF Strong Rehab Center
Vancouver, B.C.  Canada  V5Z 2G9