On 9/2/00, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Did you hear about the surgery that Professor Rabishong and his team
performed on a paraplegic patient in France?  The lesion was low.  May be you
could question them about pain management.  Would you like to be in touch
with the team?  I could help you. >>

***I have come across articles that he has authored with Bellazzi (sp?) in
Italy, but know nothing about his specific procedures, other than that they
seem to involve highly experimental FENS (Functional Neuroelectrical Nerve
Stimulation) via the use of implanted electrodes and radio controlled
stimulation, something that appears to be suitable for only a very limited
number of spinal patients without balance problems.

As far as I know, no such surgery has yet managed to control the loss of
bladder and bowel control or the enormous levels of pain, which to the
long-time spinal patient, are huge hindrances to normal daily functioning.
Numerous paraplegics with upper extremity mobility have come to terms with the
ir having to rely on wheelchairs for locomotion, but still struggle
enormously with those other problems which often make productive life often
impossible.  They would love to return to normal walking, but they often
state that doctors and scientists do not seem to appreciate that the priority
of research may be reversed - priority issues are the abolition or long-term
control of pain and spasm and only then, walking.

While I would for selfish reasons be most grateful to receive any such
information, I feel that there may be others on this site who would all
profit from an open forum discussion on this topic.  Would you be willing to
share that information with all of us?

In addition to rhizotomy, my wife has also undergone laminectomies
(discectomies) and spinal fusions at different levels and, unfortunately, the
result has been a marked deterioration in general productivity and pain
levels.  Acupuncture, myofascial and trigger point methods, acupressure, deep
massage, TENS, microcurrent, hypnosis and other non-invasive means have
offered only limited temporary alleviation of symptoms.

In fact, her own system of high speed seated fitness training to music
('SMART'), regular use of hot-cold exercise therapy (deep jacuzzi at 41C/
108F, swimming pool at 20C/68F), prone McKenzie lying for prolonged periods
,and certain analgesic or antispasmodic agents seem to offer the best relief
from pain and spasm.

Many thanks for your kind interest.

Mel Siff

Dr Mel C Siff