[log in to unmask] wrote:

>....there are some splendid stone sarcophagi in the crypt of the Church of St
Paul at Jouarre, dating from the late 7th-early 8th century.
...It is difficult to say how typical these were, however, since survivals
from this period are sparce...

seems like i remember seeing quite a few of them in Edouard Salin's work on
Merovingian archeology; and they are not all that
uncommon in excavations of older churches/cathedrals,
are they?

>I would certainly think that a stone sarcophagus would
have been possible for a woman of the early 9th century, providing,
of course, she had the quite substantial means to have
it made.

rite.

depends on what you mean by "common" --amongst the
richest 2% of the population who owned and ran
*every*thing, perhaps quite common.

for the rest, let them eat dirt.

during the heighth of the Raygun "defense" build up in
the aidies a knowledgable historian mentioned to me
at k'zoo that it is "common" to find the upper level
of Merovingian "knights" burried with their really
fantastic (and *expensive*) swords, while the peasantry
apparently could rarely afford metal tips for their
wooden shovels.

best from here,

christopher