 Does anyone know of a single coherent study of
> the
> "miracle" of the candles of the Holy Sepulcher?

No, but if I may contribute a few incoherent thoughts.  Far be it from
me to cast doubt on a true miracle - and having felt the atmosphere in
the Holy Sepulchre, I could well believe that spontaneous combustion
could take place there - I sometimes wonder if part of the explanation
may lie in the kind of candles employed.  People use a bundle of
perhaps a dozen rather thin candles (about a quarter of an inch), bound
together.  Light one candle, and the others light very quickly, almost
explosively, rather as if one match in a box of live matches should
light - a very good reason for not putting spent matches back in the
box.  I saw one chap nearly burn his hand off when the candles he was
carrying suddenly burst into flame, and I hadn't noticed that he was
attempting to light them.  Doubtless there was a perfectly rational
explanation - perhaps he passed a bit too near one of the many stands
of lighted candles in the Holy Sepulchre.  But the effect was quite
spectacular.

The Supple Doctor.