----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: Re Harrowing of Hell - was - Dante's Inferno

[snip]
If baptism were a sure-fire guarantee of eternal protection from the wrath
of
God, what would be the point in excommunicating anyone? And what would be
the point of all those calls from Christ, in Revelation, to repent and be
saved?

[snip]
above all we're supposed to remember that salvation is a gift of God. And as
Dante's God is able to do anything, he can, should he wish to do so, break
his own rules by extending this grace to even those of the unbaptized whom
he finds worthy.
[snip]
 If one doesn't start with the idea of the almightiness of God, and
his mercy in extending the gift of salvation (of which no human being is
really worthy), one misses all the mystery and wonder. One becomes just
another  pedantic bean-counter, making lists of who was baptised and who
wasn't.

It seems to me that Dante is deliberately trying to make  [us]... remember
that God is at the center of the picture, or that baptism would be a
meaningless gesture were this not the case. After all, what would be left of
Christianity if it had baptism but no
God?

This I endorse heartily.

Isn't there an account somewhere of Dame Julian of Norwich having a vision
of Hell and it was empty - "no one was in it not even the Jew."  And by "the
Jew" I have always supposed she meant Judas Iscariot.

I have had another look at the picture in Santa Maria Assunta, Torcello and
it has Christ hauling out Adam on the one side with an elegant Eve standing
hopefully behind him while behind them stand King David and King Solomon ie
secular rulers. On the other lip of Hell stands John the Baptist (last in,
first out ???) pointing to the cross and behing him are ranked all the
prophets of the OT lead by Isaiah with an impressive beard.

BMC