Today, 25 September, is the feast of...

Firmin, bishop and martyr (4th century): True identity is unclear. Was
probably a missionary bishop in Gaul.

Cadoc, abbot (575): Miraculously relived a famine by the discovery of an
unknown store of wheat.

Aunacharius or Aunaire, bishop of Auxerre (605): Zealous for discipline
in his diocese, Aunacharius forbade Christians to use churches for
dancing and to sing ribald songs. Nor were the people in his diocese to
dress themselves up as stags or calves on New Year's day, or to make
vows before "holy" bushes, trees and wells, or to practice sympathetic
magic.

Finbar, bishop (633): Upon this death, the sun did not set for a
fortnight.

Ceolfrid, abbot of Wearmouth (716): Abbot during Bede's time. Bede
writes: "I was ordained deacon in my nineteenth year, and priest in my
thirtieth, receiving both these orders at the hands of the most reverend
Bishop John at the direction of Abbot Ceolfrid."

Herman the Cripple, monk (1054): Born in Swabia of the house of
Altshausen in 1013, as a child he entered the abbey of Reichenau on an
island of Lake Constance. Among his works is one of the earliest
medieval world-chronicles, a long unfinished poem on the deadly sins,
and a mathematical/astronomical treatise which begins: "Herman, the
rubbish of Christ's little ones, lagging behind the apprentices of
philosophy, more slowly than a donkey or a slug..." Also crafted
astronomical and musical instruments. (Perhaps Frank Shaw, world expert
of world chronicles can add something about Herman?)

Sergius of Radonezh, abbot (1392): Popular among the people. Sergius
spent most of his monastic time working with the poor and advising
monarchs.

Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
3 Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK