An anonymous twelfth century text lauded priests as "mothers" since
in their hands a reenactment of the Incarnation took place during
consecration.  Aside from this metaphorical interpretation, Caesarius
of Heisterbach wrote about a priest who experienced a mystical
pregnancy.   Further, St. Francis of Assisi discussed being "pregnant
with God's word."  See Bonaventure's Major Life of St. Francis.

Good luck!

Michelle

--
Michelle M. Sauer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English & Literature