This idea was affirmed in the Apostles Creed.  Moreover, it is endorsed by
the liturgical dramas based on the life of Christ.  I have seen the
Harrowing of Hell play in the York cycle done very nicely.

The leading "Old Testament" characters also appear in a favorable light in
Jesse Trees & other sacred art - and even in lists of "Worthies."  So I
find it puzzling to say that Christians did not find this doctrine
"popular."  They certainly divorced the Jewish characters of Antiquity from
their Jewish contemporaries, but this should not be confused with a
negative opinion of the Patriarchs & Prophets.

Tom Izbicki