Duncan wrote:

> Is anyone starting to think about how to count information
> enquiries your public make using the Internet?

Yes. That is exactly what has been exercising my mind since completing this
year's "Active Borrowers" count for our Cipfa Actuals.

This year was the first year since LGR that we've produced our own stats,
and I was surprised - to put it mildly - at how low the count of Active
Borrowers was. Cipfa defines "active" as having borrowed a book in the last
year. This seems to me to be a performance indicator which, with coming of
the People's Network, will be impossibly anachronistic.

In Plymouth, we're looking at approaching the measurement of People's
Network use through our library management system, by "encouraging" users to
login using their library ticket number and PIN. All sorts of issues raise
their heads (visitors, non-members, etc.) with this approach. My feeling is
that it's worth the effort of finding solutions to these because of the
amount of management information that can be provided from borrowers'
records.

Chris

--
Chris Goddard
Resources & Technical Services Librarian

Visit us on the Web:
www.plymouth.gov.uk/star/library.htm

***The views expressed in this message are personal and must not be
considered to be the official views of Plymouth City Council***