>> I am very interested in how the psychiatric power enabled the Child
>> Welfare people in the U S to intervene in a healthy (seemingly from
>the
>> story) family.

Judi Chamberlin of the National Empowerment Center and others have
commented on the impact that psychiatric diagnoses have, such that
those assigned a psychiatric diagnosis may be considered incompetent
and subjected to gross infringements on basic rights by various
government systems including the legal system.  She writes: "just
because we believe that someone is likely to commit a crime, we cannot
put that person in jail."  However, those considered by the psychiatric
community to be 'at risk' can be incarcerated or forced into treatment
against their will.  Gender 'confusion' is considered to be a
'disorder' in the psychiatric classification code.  I assume that
children born with ambiguous genitalia are considered 'at risk' for
developing a disorder.  Furthermore, children in general are at risk
for having their rights violated.

Heather MacDuffie
Center for Community Inclusion
University of Maine