Why not both?  That is, they thought they were marking the location of wells (and building sandcastles), but functionally and subconciously the healings (and rituals) were seen to be also happening; -simultaneously.
Which came first, chicken or egg?
Phil David

<<I suspect that many of the users of such [cloutie] wells would have been itinerant pedlars who would have had spare cloth fragments.
I would draw an analogy with stone cairns which in many cases I suspect are a longer-lasting version of beach sand castles and completely deficient in the 'ritual significance' beloved of the bemused archaeologist.
But I'm open to comment.
regards
john a w lock>>