From: Francine Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 9:15 PM
Subject: RE: patron saints - the rise of characteristic attributes

> There were also what I'll call folktales, often separate and
> distinct from what was preached though they frequently overlapped as well.
> Some of these stories can only be guessed at since they were strictly oral
> and were lost.

And many of these folk tales would have been garbled or assimilated versions
of stories of saints ...

And do not forget that a "poor parson" on his pastoral rounds would be
sitting by sick beds / death beds or sharing a mug of ale in the toft and
telling stories. This would have been seen as entertainment as much as moral
exhortation, especially if he had the talent of a good raconteur. (How many
modern clergy are actors manqué ???) And these stories would have been
remembered and passed on by lay-folk. The intelligent illiterate usually
have an excellent and accurate memory for aural input.

Naturally there was a strong local feel about many stories of saints - apart
from the Big Ones. What I find interesting is the enormous overlap between
cults in Wales, Cornwall and Brittany.

BMC