Jim Bugslag writes:
but it is only with the rise of painters'
guilds dedicated to St Luke from the late 14th century onwards that
it seems appropriate to talk of him as the patron saint of painters.
Another factor that may be relevant is that, although there are
prominent exceptions, such as St Peter with his keys, the provision
of images of saints with characteristic attributes only becomes
relatively universal from the late 12th century.

And, I would venture, commensurate with the development in Europe of what we
would come to call representational painting, which won out over the
pre-existing symbolically representational art.  While this may seem a
contradiction - visual symbols gaining prominence as the artwork becomes
more narrative/representational and less symbolicly constructed - it makes
sense, as I see it, because the "new" art forms gave the artist a richer
language with which to express herself/himself.

Thus, a portrayal of the Virgin and Child in any three-dimsensional room
affords the artist multiple opportunities to comment upon Her or Him; for
every visible object, practically, acquires symbolic power.  It occurs to me
that this is similar to some of the medieval sermons and visions, as well as
the legends coming down to us.

It would seem obvious, for example, that the concept of the Virgin as an
enclosed garden (forgive me for forgetting the appropriate Latin) would gain
in power (and poetry) as the artists' capacity to enrich the symbol grew,
with the rise of depictions that more nearly mirrored nature.

An article of interest (which may well have already been studied at length -
Esteemed Listmembers will know) would be to trace the relationships among
the artists, visionaries, and sermonizers during these epochs.

jmichael