> From:	[log in to unmask] [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> One reader has challenged what we said
> about multivalent images, saying 'It is unhistorical to read such complex
> literary meanings into it ... although objects can and do mean different
> things in different contexts, they do not always mean everything, and
> Paul's sword [here the notes break off]'.

	Hmm, I think the reader may have a point--we can't be sure that a
given artisit or preacher was aware of *all* the possible meanings. But I do
think it's possible that someone could have been aware of more than one.

> The same reader also says in a
> general note that we have to distinguish between fundamental and secondary
> meanings and present a coherent understanding of what particular images
> mean in particular circumstances.
>
> My reading of the sermon literature of the period (limited, because so
> little of it is relevant to Wales) suggests that medieval preachers
> certainly were adept in multiplying meanings - but whether I should be
> reading this into the visual imagery, I don't know. Comments, anyone?

	This discussion has reminded me of a topic I addressed years ago:
the different ways the early Franciscan biographers addressed/interpreted
the events in Francis' life. Most of all, I was focusing on the biographers'
attitudes towards Francis' relationship and interaction with animals. The
earliest treatments tended to simply present the incidents--without
commentary--as examples of Francis' compassion and caring for all of
creation, not just human beings. Celano--especially in 2 Celano--insisted on
reading symbolism into the simplest acts. For example, if Francis rescued a
wolf, it was explained that he did this for the sake of him who created the
wolf, not for the wolf itself. Similarly interaction with birds was
presented as intended to convey a symbolic meaning in the various editions
of Celano, unlike the accounts in, say, Scripta Leonis, where the actions
were simply described.

	So, I think your reader may have a point: time and place play an
important role in the evolution of symbols.

	Francine