On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, CA Muessig wrote:

> Today, 25 August, is the feast of ...
> * Louis IX of France (1270) - his confessor was Robert de Sorbon

Forgive me, I feel compelled to add to this, since I've been eagerly
awaiting the August 25 listing, since I'm writing a dissertation on the
sanctity of Louis IX. At the end of his life he had, we think, three
confessors, *two* of which wrote vitas for him withint 10 or 12 years of
his death. Geoffre of Beaulieu and William of Chartres were both
Dominicans (although William only became a Dominican after becoming L's
confessor), and both were with him in Tunis when he died on his fateful
crusade. I have just been reading the death announcment that Philip III,
called rex dei gratia but not yet crowned, wrote to announce Louis' death
three weeks after it happened, while still at Tunis, and it mentions both
confessors, at the same time as calling Louis' life and acts as
*sanctissimos* and also although asking for prayers, saying that "even
some don't think he needs it".
-cecilia gaposchkin