>I'm putting together my book-order list for the fall term, and would like
>to have my students purchase thomas of celano's lives of
>st. Francis.  Has anybody used a suitable version which they could direct
>me to?  The volumes listed in my library (dartmouth) are either very old
>or in latin.

I have used the translation in Habig, _St. Francis of Assisi: Omnibus of
the Sources for the Life of St. Francis_ (Might not be the full correct
title.)

There is an abbreviated version on-line in the Medieval Sourcebook:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/stfran-lives.html

I think there's a more recent translation in a collection of Franciscan
sources published by New City Press.  See _Francis of Assisi: Early
Documents, v.1: The Saint_ edited by Francis Works, J. A. Wayne Hellmann,
William J. Short, Regis J. Armstrong.
Publisher is New City Press, whose web site is http://www.newcitypress.com/

I haven't actually seen this series.  Has anyone else used them?

Tom
F. Thomas Luongo
Assistant Professor
Department of History