                 _ BMW(sm): A Registry of Multimedia Web Books_

    This Spring I posted the message below to various e-lists regarding the availability of Web e-Books with Multimedia Content and received only one tangential response.

   This weekend I read with great interest a story in abcnews,com
on Electronic Textbooks as the Coming Campus Fad [http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/etextbooks000818.html ] It's a short AP story but quite informative.

   To my pleasant surprise, the piece talks about Multimedia Web e-Books:

<QUOTES>

Flexibility is the quality professors mention most. While the traditional college textbook is updated once every few years, e-books can be updated every year, or even during the semester. ***The electronic format also allows for links to newspaper articles and other supplementary texts and for audio and visual aids*** [emphasis added].

"I was talking to a textbook publisher about ***having an audio feed attached to a math problem***," said Julie Greenblatt, vice president of business development at Versaware Inc., an e-publisher. "Instead of just having the teacher walk you through the problem, ***a narrator walks you through and uses visuals to illustrate*** [emphasis added]."

"The text is no longer frozen on the page, "Berg said. ***"You click the screen and get a five-minute talk from the president of the Ford Motor Company****  [emphasis added] or read an article about the latest on the Microsoft case.

</QUOTES>

   With this latest news, I am once again reposting my original request information for Any and All Multimedia Web e-Books (BMW) titles and/or publications about  BMW. [As I have done in the past I will create a clearinghouse / registry of titles along with a General Bibliography of relevant publications for identified items. I expect that at some point I will name it BMW(sm) and that at some point it will be available at
[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BMW.htm]

[BTW: For those interested in multimedia Web e-journals, please visit
M-Bed(sm), my Registry of Embedded Multimedia Electronic Journals
at: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm]

   As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, questions, comments, cosmic insights, etc. will be Most Welcome!

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

           "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Stream It"
                       With Apologies (again) to Alan Kay
                  _Web e-Books with Multimedia Content_

I am greatly interested in identifying _Web_ e-Books that include multimedia  content (e.g., audio, video, datasets, etc.) along with the text of the e-Book.

I am also particularly interested in any and all _articles, reports, chapters, etc._ that summarize this functionality in WebBooks.

I am aware of e-Journals that include a multimedia component and have created a registry of these types of publications at:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm

[BTW: If you are aware of a multimedia e-journal not listed in _M-Bed(sm)_ please send me its address. Thanks!]

As always, any and all responses are appreciated!