Sarah Ormes' article refers mainly to comments from user/readers - and I am
all in favour ot that.

There is another dimension however, i.e. bringing together published
reviews from newspapers, journals and magazines onto a website so that the
prospective reader - and library book selector - can conveniently look at
all the (main) reviews of a particular book.  It would be a splendid use of
the web to effect such an improvement.
It would be just as pertinent for academic books.

The main obstacle is likely to be from the publishers of such reviews who
might not agree to such 'copying' of their text.  Or they might!

An interim step might be to assemble website references to get at those
reviews that were on the Internet.

Does anyone know of any research or steps in either of these directions?

At 11:31 am +0100 9/8/0, Sarah Ormes wrote:
>The idea of the 'enhanced OPAC' which integrates some of the features found
>at online bookstores is one that we've been interested in at UKOLN for a few
>years. Myself and Sally Criddle wrote an article for the Library Record a
>while ago which discussed how libraries could use the web to deliver reader
>development services. We envisioned a catalogue that enabled you to read
>reviews, contribute your opinions and effectively 'browse' the library's
>stock online as crucial to the development of these kind of services.
>
>The full text of this article 'Putting Imagination Online' is available at
>
>http://www.la-hq.org.uk/record/r199809/litdev.htm
>
>Sarah Ormes
>Public Library Networking Focus
>UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY
>
>Visit 'Stories from the Web' at  http://www.storiesfromtheweb.org/
>
>Tel. 01225 826711
>Fax. 01225 826838

John Sumsion - Senior Fellow,  Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,   Loughborough, Leics. LE11 3TU,  (UK).  Tel  +44
(0) 1509  223082/223052.  Fax: 223053.
HOME ADDRESS (preferred): The Granary,  29 Main Street,  Rotherby,  Melton
Mowbray,  Leics.  LE14 2LP.  Tel: +44 (0) 1664 434485.  Fax:  434918
[same e-mail]