Sylvia, hope you don't mind me posting this reply @ lis-pub-libs. I've had
many comments and enquiries following my email about the long-term
reliability of the DVD format, so this is a good opportunity to summarise
what I've learnt and to thank everyone concerned for taking the time to get
in touch with me.

It seems that most library authorities with DVD collections are satisfied
with both the suitability of the format as lending library stock and its
popularity with their users. (Here in Newham they're just as popular). One
or two authorities feel that some library users' unfamiliarity with the
format leads them to report non-existent faults. For instance, it could be
that they were attempting to play DVDs in PC CDROM drives - believe me,
mistakes like this do happen - or it may be the often suspect performance of
DVD ROM drives which are now installed in many PC systems. I'd go along with
this last observation. I check our allegedly faulty DVDs on my work PC's DVD
ROM drive and have found the performance of this player to be temperamental
and perplexing. Software bugs, hardware and software conflicts can make DVD
ROM drives a good deal less stable than stand-alone DVD players. I'm told
the following is a website which has advice on dealing with these
technicalities:-

http//freespace.virgin.net/jonathan.prince/

For all that, there's no question that the format IS extremely sensitive to
mishandling: a few playing surface scratches that usually wouldn't affect a
CD can make DVDs unplayable in many machines. Undoubtedly you've got to be
vigilant and careful, always checking the discs on issue and return and
preferably storing the discs in plastic sleeves when they're not out on
loan. You can also use special, self-adhesive overlays on the discs to
protect against scratches (which begs the questions, what happens when these
have to be replaced? Do they peel off easily? Will gummy residue
accumulate?)

Personally I remain a bit sceptical about DVDs. Unlike computer hard drives
which are vacuum sealed away from grubby fingers, DVD discs - storing
equally huge amounts of data - have got to be plucked out of cases and
plonked in drive trays and so on and so forth. Wear and tear is
inevitable...Will they succumb to it far sooner than, say, the scarred,
stuttering CDs you tend to hear in pubs?