Dear all,

I am currently in the final stages of a PhD on strike slip
processes and crustal extrusion in central Turkey. The trans-
tensional fault zone which I am particularly interested in (The
Ecemis Fault Zone) shows a peculiar feature along part of its
length. In this area (about 10km long) Pliocene–Quaternary
strain appears to be partitioned into pure normal-slip along an
eastern lineament, and dominantly strike-slip along a western
lineament 5km away. Along the majority of the fault zone (which
 is >100km long) both normal and strike-slip motion are taken
up  by the same faults (data includes river offsets, structural and
straitigraphic piercing points and slikenline populations).

Does anyone know whether such outcrop-scale strain-
partitioning has previously been documented in trans-tensional
fault zones? I’ve found a few references for partitioning in
transpressive regimes but only on a much larger scale.

Any comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,	Noah Jaffey
			Edinburgh University.