Good morning folks,

I've just been listening to this morning's news report of a study
which tested the UK "NHS Direct" [phone-in medical advice service].

(The test was carried out by callers describing pretended medical
problems, and evaluating the interactions which they experienced.
Apparently the case which stimulated the media interest was that
of a man seeking information about getting a repeat prescription
of angina relief tablets; the caller was primed, had he been asked
the right questions, to provide information which would have indicated
clearly that his "condition" was worsening seriously and he should see
a proper doctor immediately; this did not happen).

I'm concerned about some of the background which emerged in the news
report.

It seems that the system works on the basis that the caller is first
connected to a "call handler", apparently not clinically qualified,
who may then refer the call either to a clinical nurse or to a general
information service (e.g. as in the above case where you could get your
repeat tablets from).

The call-handlers for sure, and possibly the nurses also (though this
was not clear), apparently do not in the first place listen properly
to what the caller has to say, but follow prompts generated by computer
software.

It seems, however, that once the caller is speaking to a nurse it
is not unlikely that a better interaction will occur.

The computer software, it seems, comes in several flavours, some
imported from the US. The NHS say thay "have trialled three different
sorts of software".

Now my questions: What confidence could one have in the medical
evidence base which is encapsulated in the computer software? How
could one find out what that may be?

[Echoes in my mind of the "point-and-click" methodology, bypassing
thought, for evaluating clinical trial outcomes by standard statistical
software packages.]

Tailpiece: A spokesman for the NHS Direct setup said that "There were
serious design flaws in the study. There was no control, for instance."
[Control??? Do the Automobile Association, for instance, need a
 Control Group when they investigate whether repair garages fail to
 detect or properly or economically repair deliberately created faults
 in test cars submitted for overhaul and repair? Forsooth.]

Well, there we are. Now for the rest of the day ...
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[log in to unmask]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 08-Aug-00                                       Time: 09:23:00