I would like to solicit your most objective opinions regarding whether the search filters as proposed (and validated) by Haynes RB et al  (in Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound studies in MEDLINE.  J Am Med Informatics Assoc 1994;1:447-458.) still remain valid today.

 Using the 'Clinical Queries' function in PubMed (a  purportedly quick way to maximize specificity and sensitivity of MEDLINE searches) seems to be providing search outputs which are increasingly less and less sensitive and specific (but, this is my subjective opinion).

Do you think MEDLINE indexing has improved such that other searching filters are now more likely to produce more sensitive or specific searches?

Janet E. Martin, PharmD
Project Leader
Evidence-Based Prescribing Initiative
London Health Sciences Centre