The initial request in this thread sought readings onThe equation of
gender with women (and men) as is done in many of the works cited thus
far in this thread reproduces a heterosexist bias in disability studies.
Writers in the domains of feminist theory, gender studies, and queer
theory have argued in this way for the past decade.  I make this
criticism of work done in disability studies at the end of a review of
Carol Thomas's book Female Forms (Open University, 1999) which appears
in the current issue of Disability and Society (vol 15, no. 5).

In addition, I criticise the heterosexist conception of sex/gender that
conditions work that has been done in disabled sexuality studies (e.g.,
Shakepeare et als.) in a paper entitled "Queering Disabled Sexuality
Studies" which is forthcoming in the Journal of Disability and Sexuality
(winter 2001).  I argue there that in order to eliminate the
heterosexist bias from disabled sexuality studies (and disability
studies generally) it will not suffice to acknowledge the existence of
non-normative sexual practices and identities (though this will
certainly be required).  Rather, the conception of gender which work in
the field assumes must be renovated.

Regards, Shelley Tremain

Harilyn Rousso ([log in to unmask]) has developed a good syllabus for such
a course.  if you look at references in the Fine and Asch _Women
with Disabilities:  Essays in Psychology, Culture, and Politics_ you
will get some ideas;  Deborah Kent, ([log in to unmask]), has reviewed many
recent collections of books on women and disability in _Women's Review
of Books_ and _Feminist collections_.  Harilyn Rousso is coediting a
book on gender and special education that will be out soon, and that
will have an updated overview article as well as many useful articles.
manual entitled _Building Community_ has recently been updated and is
available from Educational Equity Concepts, New York, New York,
which is designed to promote group discussion about disability and
feminism, 114 East 32nd Street, New York, NY 10016.  You should also
look
at the _Journal of Disability Policy Studies_ of 1997, I think, which
published a special issue on women and disability.  books by Krotoski et
al,
Nosek, et al, and Shakespeare, et al should be helpful.  They are cited
in the update article by Asch, Rousso, and Jefferies coming out in
Rousso
and Wehmeyer.
That is all I can think of for now.  Hope this helps.
Adrienne Asch