I'd like to circulate a short paper that attempts to address
issues regarding the 'mixing and matching' of metadata schemas,
something that happens when implementors try to use standard
schemas in the real world of service provision. This is intended as a
position paper for discussion in advance of the DC8 Workshop in Ottawa in
October(1).

We have coined the term 'application profile' to signify the type of
schema that we see being used in implementations. Within application
profiles elements are combined from more than one 'standard namespace
schema', particular schemes are mandated, definitions from the 'standard
namespace schema' are refined.

The paper is available at

http://homes.ukoln.ac.uk/~lisrmh/app-prof.htm

This paper is being circulated for comment and discussion, I hope that
that it will have provided background for moving forward issues at DC8
such as

- domain specific metadata
- liaison with other metadata initiatives
- the role of registries in sharing information about DC

This paper is jointly authored with my colleague Manjula Patel who works
with me on UKOLN's contribution to the SCHEMAS project. We welcome your
input!

For information we intend over the next few weeks to discuss the role of
registries in the DCMI on the dc-registry mailing list (2).

Rachel

1. http://www.ifla.org/udt/dc8/call.htm
2. http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/dc-registry/

Rachel Heery
UKOLN (UK Office for Library and Information Networking)
University of Bath                              tel: +44 (0)1225 826724
Bath, BA2 7AY, UK                               fax: +44 (0)1225 826838
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/